Saturday, September 24, 2011

Made it back to the dojo today for a group class, instead of the early morning practices with Tennis and Maija -- I'll be back to those next week!

So instead of focusing on sword, I got to be all fu-nerd ADD and do both sword and Jujutsu.

Boy have I got a lot to learn when it comes to the not-punchy side of things. The rudiments of joint control are there, but I've no formal training in how to best manipulate them, or balance. I've a hodgepodge of tai chi, judo mixed in with my karate knowledge ( along with a good helping of anatomical knowledge thanks to my dad .)

That helps in a pinch, and when you have to think on your feet, but there's a fascinating methodology to this. It's not quite about getting a hit in, or kumite ( waa-chah .) It's like a lab where you learn with live subjects the dynamic behavior of the body as a system.

It's neat.

This, got me to thinking that I have got to slow down. It's such a different mindset from the quick movement, and strikes side of the martial arts tracks. It fills in the gaps by being taught in what to me feels like it were being told in Entish.

The sound of a clue landing hard follows.

Right. Slow down, enjoy the techniques for what they are, and remember fact other folks are willing to let you toss them around for your anatomical and martial enlightenment.

So, yeah, good class.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment